I Was Born In A US Army Hospital In Germany And I Lost My Birth Certificate. How Do I Get A New One?


2 Answers

Meg Hayes Profile
Meg Hayes answered
A birth certificate is an important official document that is provided by the United States government and other foreign agencies to prove that you were born. If a US citizen is born in another country, then a birth certificate, original or otherwise, will not be kept on file in the United States. If you were want to get a copy of your birth certificate from another country, then you will need to get in touch with the United States Embassy that is located in the country that you were born.

• The first thing you will need to do is to write a letter to the US Department of State. In this letter you should ask for a copy of your birth record.
• State your full name and the full data and exact location of your birth, including the name of the hospital if you know if. Also include the names of your biological parents and passport information.
• At the bottom of the letter, write the address where you would like the birth record to be delivered to. Sign and print your name.
• With the letter you will need to include a check for $60 that should be made payable to the United States Department of States. The $60 will pay for the forms: $30 for the DS-1350 form and $30 for the FS-240 form.
• Put the check and the letter in an envelope and mail this letter to: Passport Services: Vital Records Section, U.S. Department of State, 1111 19th St. NW Suite 510, Washington DC, 20522-1705.
• Make sure that you have put a stamp on the envelope before you mail it.
• Once you have mailed the letter, the Department of State will look over the information you have sent them and be in touch soon with a copy of your birth record. This decision may take a couple of weeks.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I was also born in germany while my father was in the military.
You must send $40 for your FS-240 form, you can also request for $20 a DS-135
you must send it to
Passport Services, Correspondence Branch
US Dept of State
1111 19th Street NW Suite 510
Washington, DC 20522-1705
check or money order payable to : US Dept of State

Must include,: Full name, date of birth, place of birth, name of parents, of born after 1990 FS-240 serial #, a sworn affidavit(notarized) stating where your "lost" birth certificate is.
Estimated time to receive is 4-8 weeks with 2 weeks for mail delivery, you can request expedited mail for approx $20. But, that does not speed up the initial 4-8 weeks.
Hope this helps...

Answer Question