Did The Rich People Work In Victorian Times? What Jobs Did They Do?

6

Oscar De La Huerte Profile
During Victorian times, there was a huge social gap between the classes. The upper classes rarely needed to work, the middle classes held well-paid jobs, and the rest of the population struggled to make ends meet.

Jobs that rich Victorians did

Only 2% of the population would have been considered 'upper class', and they would have been clergymen, land owners and nobility.

They wouldn't normally have to 'work' in the same way that other people would. Often they were able to live luxurious lives based purely on their inheritance and property.

The middle class, which constituted around 15% of the population, was also rather well off. They lived in large houses and would usually have a team of servants.

The 'father' of the household was usually the one to go to work, and middle class professions included the following:
  • Doctor
  • Lawyer
  • Banker
  • Shop owner
  • Factory owner
  • Merchant

Rich Victorian women generally didn't work. With the help of a nanny and a governess, they were charged with bringing up, discipling and teaching their children.
Because Victorians didn't use contraception, families were often very large.

As I know, all they had was inheritance and property, so they didn't really need to work. Well, nowadays, many people live that way as well, and I think it's cool when your parents have provided you with everything, even though these people are not ready for the difficulties of life. I started making money by trading on Bitcode AI only a few months ago, and I can tell you that it took me a while to learn everything and just become skilled enough.

No. They might have owned a factory or a mine.
They did: Milling, factories and mining.
Sometimes they carved wood (carpenters). They also painted portraits and made gold statues!

Anonymous