In my country we don't!
I have 6 of them.
1. You need to know how people who are making decisions for you got there.
2. You need to know what you can do to put the people there that are making decisions for you.
3. You need to know all the ways you can voice your opinions on matters that are being decided for you by the government.
4. You need to know how much and why you are being taxed.
5. You need to know how other governments in the world work so you can understand what is going on in the world. (If you think what happens in other countries doesn't concern you, read up on the 9/11 attacks.)
6. Because your life and livelihood depends on what your government does.