Buckingham Palace was built as a townhouse for the then duke of Buckingham in 1703. In 1761, George III on his visit there, like it so much that he bought it for himself and called it 'The Queen's House'. Over the next 75 years lots of changes were made to it and three wings were built around the central courtyard. In 1837, on the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne, it was made the official Royal Palace for the British Monarch. It was largely modified by architects John Nash and Edward Blore but it retains some of the original blue and pink lapis although most parts of it have been done in cream and gold and some of the rooms have been done in the Chinese regency style.